Tuesday 17 May 2011

Waxwing Wonders

Soon I'll be departing for East Yorkshire and Bempton Cliffs, but I thought I'd leave you with some images that I was particularly pleased to capture after a whole winter of searching. I did locate a flock of glorious Waxwings but had only one half decent image from that day. However after a trip to capture avocets early spring which also went well we checked in on a flock of reported Waxwings and found them soon returning to a low berry tree. The images were very pleasing in the late afternoon light.

Three Were present, waiting on overhead wires most of the time before dashing down for a quick feed then returning to there vantage point. This one was happy to pose with a blue sky making a nice backdrop
















































Often it seems the berries are too large for there mouths and sometimes they do struggle, a lot of berries were being dropped though Im unsure if thats due to there size or perhaps them going a little rotten by spring.

































I hope they return in some numbers locally next year as cleaner backgrounds are somewhere I can improve on but for me they didn't seem as distracting as I would have thought.




I'll leave you with my final image and the one I like the most.








hoping for another Waxwing winter but a Shorelark wouldn't go a miss come to think of it!







No comments:

Post a Comment