Wednesday 11 May 2011

Valley Punk

Today I took a trip with my Dad to a local nature reserve run by North East Wales Wildlife. After supplying some food for the birds at the empty feeding station we waited but all stayed quiet, a pair of Great Spotted Woodpeckers chasing each other was a treat however.

A few blue tits made a quick dash for peanuts but they must have plenty of Natural food now. This particular Blue tit looked very punk after a heavy downpour moments earlier.


















A break in the clouds appeared so we decided to take a walk around for some macro subjects the site can be quite good for lizards and Snakes so that was top of our list but we played around getting flies and butterflies. While doing This I managed to photograph a species of butterfly I hadn't before, A Dingy Skipper. Interestingly though one was spotted at a local Heritage and Nature Park Greenfield Valley and was seen as rare for that location, but there was at least four at this site, no doubt many more.
















Another Butterfly also put in an appearance, one I hadn't seen since last year a Small Copper. I was particularly pleased with the shot I got of this, especially as it was with the 300mm F4 and tube.



We decided to call it a day after checking the feeding station again but nothing much appeared. However the day peaked when I got home as a walk with the camera over the green where I live resulted in a fantastic lucky sighting as I lay on the grass enjoying the view I spotted a Peregrine Falcon! almost over the top of my house too, what a fantastic sight so close to home and oddly not for the first time as I had seen one two mins walk from home about a month ago. Fantastic to see such wonderful birds locally.

No comments:

Post a Comment